It seems the older Shelby gets the less time I have to dedicate to little things like this blog. I have enjoyed writing here and saving it for Shelby when she gets bigger. Somehow, life keeps happening and it seems something that takes 10 minutes is no longer doable.
This summer has been VERY busy for us! We grew a really nice garden and did a lot of canning. We have lots of stewed tomatoes with vegetables, tomato sauce, salsa, and pickles. Yum! We have enjoyed eating the canned goods as well as sharing them. We also have lots of jalepenos we are freezing and we hope to make some pickled okra.
The summer garden was such a success we've decided to attempt putting in a fall garden too. :)
Shelby continues to grow and learn. It amazes me how much she has learned this summer and what she can do now verses just a couple of months ago. Her vocabulary continues to grow and she has a great memory, which is really nice since mine seems to be dwindling these days. Shelby loves the animals and has grown particularly fond of all of our kittens. We have 3 mommas with 5-6 kittens EACH! Needless to say, we are weeding out. We are working on giving them all away except one or two male cats. One of them is Shelby's favorite kitten. She named him Bambino. He is a siamese looking kitten and let's Shelby drag him all over our property - to the barn, the house, around the yard. He just hangs out. So, we decided to keep him.
Barrel racing is going ok this year. Badger has an issue and needs 6 months off. It is nothing serious, he just needs time for it to heal. I was bummed because we were 3rd in the 1D with NBHA TX 34. So, Shiner has stepped up to the plate and has done really well for me. He is slowly moving up the ranks in speed and we are becoming a better team each time we run. We had a minor set back last weekend as he seemed sore and stiff. So, I took him to the vet. We are hoping some new shoes (to change the angle of his hoof) will help him out. If not, doc says it is inbetween his years. LOL I have some supplements that should help with that. Shiner has a VERY strong personality so I wouldn't be surprised.
I also took in two colts to break this summer. I really needed to focus on mine, but with our trip to Michigan I thought I'd do that so we could go and really enjoy ourselves. They are coming along nicely. I'm finishing up my first 30 days on them. We'll probably put 30 more days and then they'll go back to their owner.
Speaking of Michigan - We had a GREAT time visiting with my family around the 4th of July. We took 8 days to visit family and friends and spent a couple of days in Mackinaw City. It is so beautiful in Michigan this time of year. The weather was awesome too. The break from our record breaking heat has been nice. Shelby LOVES To swim. Put some floaties on her and all you hear is "Look Mom, I'm a fish!" If we had a pool I don't think we'd ever get her out of it.
Tomorrow I leave for Calgary. I'm going to a 6 day training with SMART Technologies. It is a company that makes great hardware for kids. I applied to attend and was one of 50 chosen in North America (and 5 from other countries). It is all expense paid trip including a day in Banff, Alberta Canada. I've checked out the pictures and they are AMAZING! I don't know of a place in the USA as beautiful as that place! I can't wait to see it with my own eyes!
My job is changing. They cut our department in half from 50 to 26 of us. So, we will be in one location at a middle school in Sugar Land, TX. I'll work more days (211 vs 189) and my duties will change quite a bit. I'm blessed to have a job, so I'm not going to complain. :)
Ryan has been busy working and doing some hunting. His hobbies seem to be more hanging out with his dogs in the evenings and feeding our piglets. We got 5 of them, but only 3 our left. One died in their pen and the other one was killed by the horses when they got out one day. The others are doing fine and hopefully learned their lesson and will stay in their pen.
I guess that is it in a nutshell. I hope to keep up with this again. I so enjoy sharing our adventures and I know Shelby will enjoy reading them when she gets older.
Stacie
Saturday, July 16, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment