Today I have off for MLK day. I kept forgetting this wknd so it was like a little present every time I remembered.
I took shiner and twister to the barrel race. They were both pretty squirrely do to the cool weather and having been stalled all nite cAuse of the rain. But, luckily, they are both out of shape so they wore down fairly quickly.
I exhibitioned shiner just to be sure since he's still pretty new at this. It was worth the investment because he acted a little goofy at first but ran with confidence the third exhibition.
I was #8 on Shiner in the open and made a decent run. There are a few things I need to work on, but overall it was a nice run. He ran with his mind and not his legs. That is what I am working on right now. That horse has PLENTY of gas. I just need to work on getting his brain to slow down and the speed will come naturally later. He ended up with a 16.7 which is an improvement from last year. I think he was a 17.4 or something like that last year in this arena.
I ran #37 on old faithful, I mean Twister. I haven't ran him in a few years and felt he needed a job. So here we are. :-) I decided not to run in the adult class, but instead run two horses in just the open. It has better pay out and pays better prizes. (I also nominated shiner for the novice.)
Anyhow, Twister has A LOT of heart and desire to make me happy. So he tries too hard sometimes. That is why I love him so much. I practiced him on Wednesday and he acted really stupid and beat the heck out of me so I didn't know what to expect. Of course, being Twister hr went in and did his job. He couldn't be out done so he ran a 16.718 which I believe was a tad bit faster than Shiner! Ha! He did really well and I look forward to runnning him this season.
I don't have any video as I went by myself cause of the cold, nasty weather.
On to Shelby...she is getting closer to walking. She has taken a few steps but is still very unsteady. She looks top heavy to me (short legs and long upper body) so maybe that is why she is taking so long. The good news is she is a natural equestrian and loves her animals! Ringo our male heeler (dog) loves his Shelby. He sits by her faithfully outside and gives her kisses. She has given him a few in return. They are growing up together and are going to be best of buds.
I guess thar sums up our weekend. I am up and getting ready so Shelby and I can run to town to so some errands.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone
Monday, January 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment