As you know, Badger has been off from barrel racing since we won our saddle last November.
After hock injections, some days off and joint supplement I started to ride him on Monday. I worked him on the barrels Wednesday only to be very dissapointed. He wasn't smooth, was barely running and made terrible turns. I was really disappointed but was reminded by a friend sometime it takes a few rides for horses to know they are no longer hurting.
Today I decided to take it slow and go back to the basic horsemanship. After working on calming him down and getting him to chill out a little I trotted the pattern and he turned them really well. So then I lopes him around the barrels. Even better! He was turning properly and getting down around the turns and using his hind quarters. It was awesome!!! I only loped him but I can't wait to make that fast run!!! Woohoo! My boy is back. It feels awesome!!!
My next barrel race is next Saturday. My goal is to make a fast run on him b4 then to see how her feels. I will also do more slow work and exercise him to try and get re weight off of him. He is very fat!
Shiner is doing well too. He has been really grumpy so I am keeping an eye on him to make sure he doesn't have any issues. He lost both front shoes the other morning. He pulled them both off in the arena. I was working on making him snappish and faster. We accomplishes that attempt cost of his front shoes. :-(. Hopefully Ryan will out them back on soon!
I Started stretching both horses. Shiner really likes it. I will start to stretch his legs an he'll finish it for me.
Badger is real stiff but that doesn't surprise me since he's been a pasture ornament.
It is sooooo hot down here! I am soaked at 9 am when I come in from riding. We have been in the house all day today. Shelby is getting a little bored. We'll have to go outside after a while so she can get some fresh air and play with her kittens.
I guess this is enough. Until next time....
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone
Saturday, July 17, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment