Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Easter Bunny & Barrel Run


I don't think I need to say much about this picture. Isn't it cute??? I know I'm bias, but it's still adorable! I had no intentions of getting pictures because I ran out of time and I didn't know where to go to get her picture. So, we lucked out when Walmart had someone taking pictures there. Her shirt says "Will Rope for Candy"....so fitting...hahaha...just not very Easter-y....oh well....She is a cowgirl after all!
Shelby is now 6 months old and doing all sorts of cute things. She is trying to stand and is starting to learn how to sit on her own. Her back is still not strong enough, but she's getting closer. She rolls around everywhere and will roll away from you if you look away briefly. She is nothing but smiles and enjoys life to the fullest. She, of course, also loves the horses. Twister, my paint horse, loves her too. He always wants to see Shelby and lets her pull on his nose wiskers and lets her pet him and squeal with excitement. It's awesome! I will take pictures and video of the two of them. I believe they are going to make an awesome team in another few years. It's amazing how the meanest horse in the pasture is the sweetest with us. Twister was my first horse down here and has a special place in my heart. So, he won't ever go anywhere. I would love to see him and Shelby become a team and share the bond I share with him already.
Here's my video from Saturday's run. I was hoping to post Sunday's run too, but my tape is screwed up on my video camera and I can't get it to download without having lines go through it. I wanted to show off my mad skills on the 3rd barrel. I was turning the 3rd barrel and I realized my rein was too long and Badger was going to go wide. So, I was holding the rein on the turn with my left hand and I reached down with my right hand to pull it harder so he would turn sharper. It worked and I didn't lose my balance! Yea!

I also worked Badger last night. We are still turning wider than I would like and I believe we could take off 3/10 of a second or so if I could get him to turn just a little tighter. This is risky (could hit the barrel and get a no time) but I believe it will pay off in the end. So, we worked on that last night. He did AWESOME. I have two barrel races this weekend and I can't wait to see how it turns out for us!

Yesterday Ryan took 'my' Romeo to work him on cows. He is still very green and so I was anxious to hear how he did. Ryan called me throughout the day to tell me something I already knew. That my horse was awesome! :) He worked great on the cows and was starting to cut them and go after them in the pens. Now he's in love with the horse too. I have a feeling we'll be fighting over him. Hahaha....perhaps he is our perfect mix....quick and caddy to make a great barrel horse, and big with strong bones for a heading (roping) horse. Time will tell!

Ryan also took his Mom's horse, Shiner, and used him to gather cattle. Ryan said Shiner did great as well. I was proud of him too. He is all racing blood, so we were curious to see how he'd do with the cattle. Ryan said he even started nipping at the cows...which is good...so Ryan is looking forward to working him more this year as well.

No comments: