So last night we were supposed to go ride with the girls. However the horses had other plans. The back 4 horses broke down the fence between the back pasture and the creek which leads to the very back 5 acres. We left them out there for a few days, but was trying to get them up so we could go ride at the George Ranch. Ryan tried for 30 minutes with no luck. So, i saddled up Shiner, put Shelby on and we made our way to the back. Shiner was a good boy and took care of us girls. I was a little worried cause he is a high strong horse.
On the way to the back, the neighbors cows were mooing. It was so cute. They would Moo then Shelby would be Moo....back and forth. That was the highlight of my night
I finally made it back and cross the bridge to the creek. Ryan got Shelby and I tried to 'cowgirl' those horses up to the front pasture. They wouldn't do it. After getting hung up in the trees and chasing them a few times around the pasture I decided to do it a different way. I had brought a halter and I was going to try and catch my mare (who was causing all the problems according to Ryan...it's never THEIR horse! HA)....she wouldn't come to me and Ryan started fussing at me. He got so mad he stormed off screaming at us (me and the horses) the whole way while carrying Shelby. LOL He had to carry her all the way to the front. I had intentions of giving her a ride back up, but since he was mad and just new I was wrong he left with her. Oh well....
he told me on the way back she leaned over a little, then a little more, then a little more til she was directly in his face. Then she puckered her lips to give me a kiss. Needless to say he got over his anger fairly quickly. Daughters seem to have that power over their daddy's!
After he left I got back on and tried to push them up with Shiner again. That wasn't working and I wasn't goign to mess up his legs just to get these stupid horses. So, I got back off and I tried to approach them on foot. By this time, all the horses were pretty tired and it didn't take too long for Romeo to come to me and let me put the halter on.
I had hopes to put the rope on Cowgirl (my mare), but she wasn't having nothting to do with that! I guess that's the female in her. I also tried to grab up Twister and Badger but they would get away just as I went to put the rope around their necks. They've been there, done that!
Anyhow, I then decided to walk the two I had up to the front pasture and come back for another one until I got them all up. Lucky for me, they other three started following me. So, I kept walking and sure enough when I crossed the bridge they crossed the bridge.
I then got back on Shiner and ponied Romeo the rest of the way and the other three fools walked behind me with their heads hanging low as they were pretty tired.
By this time, it had been an hour since this whole process started, but at least they were coming up. They eventually all came up to the barn and they are all now grounded. I moved all 4 of them into the pasture directly behind our house. I moved Smoke to the pasture behind our barn, but closed off the back two pastures so we don't have to go hunting for horses for a while. We will fix the fence this weekend.
Unfortuantely, it was too late to hook up and go ride with the girls. The good news is I got 5 horses worked but only had to ride one!
On a side note, I was pretty proud of Shiner. He was cutting the horses and getting up in front of them. he also plowed through the heavy brush in the very back of our pasture where the horses were hiding. Ryan yelled at me and said I didn't know what I was doing, but I've learned to not listen or care about what he says when he is mad. He wanted to ride Shiner to push them all forward, but I was not going to let him do that. That would've been a DISASTER with Shiner's nervousness and Ryan's temper!
Here's a pic of Shelby I took before we went out that evening....she was eating a grilled cheese sandwich. I said say cheese and she did...too cute!
Thursday, February 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment