Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Long Weekend

Boy was it nice having an extra day this weekend. I know I sure enjoyed it. I find taking naps sure helps get through the hot part of the day and helps me function and be productive in the evenings. I guess the baby is still sucking all of my energy! Perhaps the baby is growing. According to my belly, I believe that is the case. :) It seems to grow more each day.

This Memorial Day weekend was very nice. We didn't do a whole lot on Saturday, but Sunday we went to Sargeant to meet up with some friends on the beach. I haven't bought a bathing suit yet, so I didn't go to far into the water, but just sitting out on the beach was so nice. It's amazing how that environment can make you feel so relaxed. It was also fun hanging out with some old friends as well as meeting new friends. We are looking forward to going back and joining everyone again in the near future. It is only an hour drive so it makes for a nice day trip.

We have also begun working with our younger horses. I think I am going to be officially labeled the "Round Pen Queen." Ha! Since I am not riding very often I have found new pleasure with working the horses in the round pen. I usually hate it, but it is a way to help Ryan and still interact with the horses. Anyhow, I started working our stud colt, Bobalou, and he is doing so well. He just doesn't care and is so willing to do what you ask. He doesn't fuss or want to kick out when he is fresh. Everytime I work him I dream about riding him. I CANNOT WAIT! Seeing him do so well in the round pen has motivated Ryan to want to start saddling him and then breaking him. He has finally gotten big enough and continues to grow. It's gotta be that Skipper W in him! Good thing he has good, strong hooves and big strong legs to go with his body. I have added a couple of pictures of him to my Picacsa web page - go here to see them... http://picasaweb.google.com/rockingrs2008/Horses. They were taken on May 26, 2008.

Mito was called up to be a 'ranch horse' today. I am anxious to hear how he does. He has really filled out as well and has gotten a lot stronger! Ryan was going to take an outside horse, but he has some sores where the girth goes so Mito was called up to the position. I think it is great! This is yet another really nice horse. He is for sale, so hopefully the miles he gets today will help him be more marketable. If we don't sell him, I'll begin training him on barrels in January for a couple of months and then get more serious about selling him. It seems most people want a horse that is already patterned for barrels. Whoever gets him will have one heck of a horse!!!

The filly is doing very well too. We have been putting her in the cyclone fence area by our house so she can get some green grass to help with her weight gain. She is lonely, but none of our horses are nice enough to put her w/them. Well, Mito is, but we don't have an extra pasture. So, she gets to be up there by herself. Hopefully the fence will be built soon and she'll be put out to pasture. In the meantime she is still learning we are not monsters and we will not attack her. We have to leave a halter and lead rope on her to catch her. She is learning and she is getting better with leading. She still needs a lot of desensitizing, but she will learn and I'm sure she'll turn into something great. We are still thinking about names. I wanted to name her Princess, but Ryan didn't like that. I might still call her that...We are also considering Cowgirl. So, we'll see!

We are also very excited about Nancy and Dick making a trip down here. This is Nancy's first grandchild and she LOVES garage sale-ing....so apparentely they have a PILE of baby stuff including toys, clothes, etc. We got pictures of the stuff yesterday. Wow, is all I can say! They also found us a BEAUTIFUL crib made out of solid wood! What a deal! The pictures really helped Ryan and I with the reality of we need a lot of stuff!!

That's about it for now...I'm back to work...and counting down the days til Summer. Our kids last day is June 5th and ours is June 6th. I'M SO READY! It didn't help when JoLynn called and let me know she was done last week. Normally we are too, but they changed our schedule. So, that stinks!!

Until Next Time....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are doing an awesome job on your blog!! Keep it up I like reading it. I think its cute that you and Ryan have just as much trouble deciding a name for the horses as you baby. (HA HA) See ya soon!!
Love,
Mel

Rocking RS said...

LOL That is funny Melanie! I guess those that know Ryan and me know that we are different that way. Our animals truly are our "4 legged children." When this baby comes he/she will think he/she is adopted...or deformed with only two legs! LOL