Friday, May 30, 2008

Big Tree Go Boom & Lowe's Adventure

I keep forgetting to take pictures, but I thought I would share this experience and then add the picture later...We have HUGE trees on our property. Some of these trees must be at least 50+ years old! We have a small catch pen to the left of our barn where we have two HUGE trees that shade it all day long. Anyhow, we walked out one day to find half of a tree (which looks like a whole tree because it is so big) laying across the pasture. It looks like the limbs got too heavy and that part of the tree fell down. We believe the tree is an oak tree, but it might be Pecan. If anyone is interested in some free wood, please get with us. It is HUGE and we need to get it removed. The wood will be great for BBQ or for camp fires...or whatever you want to use it for (keep it legal!)...we just need it gone!

This has also been an adventure for me at Lowe's. We are in the process of pulling out our very nasty and dirty living room and hallway carpet so we can replace it with a wood floor. Easy, right? HECK NO...after spending two hours a night at Lowe's for two nights I finally learned enough about laminate, wood, and engineered wood flooring. So, I take home my two samples and come back the next day to make the purchase. Only to find out that what I wanted was no longer being manufactured. Boy was I frustrated. So, Tye (the Lowe's guy in Rosenberg who is very helpful) and I went back to the drawing board. We found two more choices that were similar to my original...so we checked and...just my luck this week...they were no longer being manufactured. Oh, I forgot to mention...they quit manufacturing them two days prior to me ordering. Sooooooo....we looked some more and everything else I liked was over the price range I was willing to pay. We did find one I liked, but it was $1 more a sq. ft. ...Tye, being the nice person he was, went to his manager and got him/her to let me have that more expensive flooring for the same price as what I was going to buy since they had nothing else to offer me. But, then, i wasn't sure if I liked it cause it was a 5" plank and the one I had picked out was a 2 1/4" plank...so Tye went to lunch and I went to do the rest of my errands in Lowes and to think about what I wanted to do. An hour later, I decided to buy it. I realized that the wider plank will make our floor look more spacious which is what we need and I'm just not that picky to fuss over something like that. So, I ordered the flooring last night and it will be delivered sometime next week. I'm good with my decision and I am looking forward to seeing it!

Ryan's parents are coming in sometime around June 15th to visit and help us put the flooring in. So, I am going to paint the kitchen, living room and hallway b4 they come so everything will be fresh by the time they leave. I can't wait for the finished product. As much of a nightmare as this turned out to be I'm very anxious to see how nice our house will look w/this new flooring.

And...incase you are wondering....no I have not even started on the baby's room! I still have my clothes all over the place. I'll probably clean out my clothes in July and I don't want to decorate until after I know what we're having...that is if he/she cooperates! I may paint since we'll probably go with a taupe color on the walls. It's a given that we'll decorate cowboy or cowgirl...so that color will go w/either a boy or girl scheme. I hope to find out June 10th what we're having. Until then...you'll have to be patient and wait!!!

No comments: