Friday, May 9, 2008

NYC - Day 1


I'm in NYC right now. It's raining and NASTY out today...but the rest of the weekend is supposed to be great. Today I slept in til 10 AM...good thing Stacy called me and woke me up! LOL I took Benadryl and didn't go to bed til 1 AM Eastern time. I then got up and started walking around. I ended up at St. Paul's Chapel. This church is across from ground zero and it's where all the emergency workers went to rest. It is also where all the volunteers went to help give relief to the emergency workers through their services such as massage therapist or chiropractor. It was very sombering to walk thru the church, see the pictures, see the cards, letters, etc. I took pictures and will upload them when I get back along with all the pictures I plan to take this weekend. Anyhow, walking through the church was like going back to 9/11 all over again. I teared up at times just remembering what it was like right after it happened and the emotions I felt and the nation felt and what it must've been like back then in NYC.

I haven't actually visited ground zero, just walked by it. It is basically two 1 block holes in the ground with a 20 ft high chain link fence around it. I plan to visit it again on Monday before I leave. It is just to wet and rainy to pay my respects and mean it. It's also amazing how close the buildings are next to it. I only seen one building being rebuilt, so I guess the buildings next the WTC are the original buildings. The tv footage we watched over and over again run through my mind and I imagine everyone running away. It looked like so much room on tv....the streets and buildings are so close. I can't imagine how chaotic it must've been.

After I found my way back to Trinity church I met Stacy for lunch and then I went shopping at Pier 17 which is basically a shopping area on the Hudson River. It is a typical tourist mall and so I did some shopping and then decided to come back to her apartment since the weather sucks so much. Also, Baby Boudrie was making me sleepy and I have a long night ahead of me. We are going to go see Stomp. I am so excited! So, I thought I better rest. I bought some coffee (1/2 caf) on the way back to her apt. like 25-30 min ago and it is still too hot to drink. LOL

Well, I was excited to share so I thought I'd let you know what I was up to. :) I can't wait til the weather clears up so I can really enjoy the city and not be miserable and wet. LOL The life of the city girl. I"m loving my visit, but couldn't live here.

Her apt is very different from our Texas life. Our home of 1420 sq ft is considered VERY small in Texas. You walk in to a nice building, almost like a hotel, and there is a door man there waiting to help. I know this because I had to ask for his help several times already! Including asking for help to get into Stacy's apartment. HA! Anyhow, she has a typical apartment for NYC. She lives next to Tiffany's Co. and across the street from one of Trumps buildings...I think it is the one that is on Trump's show.

The streets are very narrow. I plan to take pics of them on Monday as well.

It is pretty easy to get around though. Actually, very easy! Everything makes sense and is easy to follow as long as where you need to end up. This country girl will survive in the Big Apple! What an experience! A lot for one day huh? Ha!

I hope everyone is doing well in their world! On a side note...I went the doctor on Wednesday and Baby Boudrie is doing well! I'm starting to show, but it is still not too noticeable. My next appointment is in June. We hope to find out what it is then! In the meantime, I'll just buy cool NYC baby stuff....

Stacie :)

No comments: