Friday, May 15, 2009

Sick...again...and lame horse

I'm sick again! UGH!!! Today I sound the worst, but I probably feel the best I have all week. I had a swollen throat which made it hard to swallow, congestion, sneezing, coughing...oh what fun! I think the hardest part is being a Mom when you feel like doo doo...basically, as you Moms know, you suck it up! I'm so grateful that Shelby is a good girl and is easily entertained and pleased. So, we spent a lot of time on the floor. She rolled and I moaned! HA! And, if you are wondering why Ryan didn't participate more it is because he had to go do all the outside chores...and there's plenty to do!

Today my voice is fading quickly and my nose is stuffy, but at least I can swallow again!

Also, I went to sandy's arena last night with Badger and Romeo. Badger was warming up funny but I just thought he was a little stiff. So, I went to trot him around the barrels and he was gimping really bad. I noticed it while riding and Sandy and Ryan saw it from the ground. Needless to say, I got off immediately and he was done for the night. GREAT! So, now he's out!

We planned to take him to Gem's to have him worked on, but she's not available now til next week. We had the heat sensor thing put on him earlier this week and he showed heat in his back (ya, that $300 pad (Right Pad) was worth it...NOT!...needless to say we're sending it back!) and his right hock had a lot of heat on it too. I think he's gimping cause of his hock. I'm not sure what would make it hurt so badly, but that comes with the territory so we need to figure out why. I am winning the 2D in the NBHA and have brought home a pay check everytime I run (if I don't hit a barrel) so I'm bummed it is VERY unlikely I'll be able to go Sunday.

I don't think I'll ever have a horse as tough as Twister, my paint horse. Man, the horse is tough! We worked him 5x harder than we have any of our other horses and he did it all without a lame step! I mean did it all....carried the flag in a drill team, heeled, ran barrels...and all w/in 2 hours!

On a positive note, Romeo did a FABULOUS job last night. I loped him for the first time. THe hardest part was getting him into the lope (he has a tad bit of a lazy streak and he'll test you to see if he can get away with it). NO PROBLEMS...he loped off smooth as silk and added a "Yes Ma'Am" at the end of it! What a thrill! That helped make up for Badger coming up lame. I thought I was being an over achiever by making the goal of running him in the Novice barrels next January, but I think we might get to do it. This boy is smooth, smart and he is real caddy even though he is 16 hands! I just love him and can't wait for school to be out so I can ride him on a regular basis!

I think that's the best part of my job...I love working, but I also love having a break! I really do have the best of all worlds...I work with kids and teachers everyday using technology and I go home at night and play 'cowgirl.' I dont' know if I could ask for anything more.

Finally, some exciting news....Charlene, my step-mom, is a grandma for the 2nd time! (Of course, that's not counting all of our rugrats (my 6 nephews and Shelby). Her daughter, Cynthia, had a healthy baby boy on Saturday. Charlene was able to be in the room with her during delivery. I thought she was brave cause I don't care to ever be near another delivery room unless I have to be due to my own pregnant situation. :) I'm anxiously waiting for pictures (HING HINT Charlene) so I can post them and share with you all!

TGIF!

No comments: