Sunday, March 15, 2009

Spring Break & Fast Run

My spring break officially started on Friday evening. It feels good to get a break. It's been hard keeping up with my schedule of full time job, full time Mom and part time barrel racer. I was getting pretty burnt out. I even said I was done riding all the horses except Badger and Romeo. I will probably ride Twister on occasion just cause he's fat and needs it...and is easy to ride.

Yesterday my friend, Karen, watched Shelby while we went to the barrel race. It was in the 40s and raining. Not good baby weather! Boy were we glad she was able to help us out. Badger and Ryan were not too pleased about being out in the cold weather. Ryan handled it better than Badger though. When I would talk to Badger his ears would go back and he would give me nasty looks. One time he literally turned around and started to walk away...probalby back to the trailer. He just wanted to be home and left alone.

He got over it and sucked it up like any great horse will do. I stretched him then warmed him up. He is starting to get a little more seasoned and not so nervous. He just walks around and waits for his turn. When it was close to our turn I took him to the back of the pens where the alley way is and waited there. That's when he started to get squirrely and ready to do his job.

The first barrel was ok. I didn't time things well, but he made up for it and we turned it and went on to the 2nd. In the meantime he's picking up speed and getting ready to sit and spin on the 2nd...lol...He turned it so quick that I flew up from my saddle. Good thing I was hanging on to my horn with my right hand cause I was able to get back in my seat and ready for the 3rd. The third was great too. I decided to use a whip coming home cause he tends to shut down a little early and I wanted to get a little more speed out of him. Every little bit can make a BIG difference. I stopped the clock at 15.4...just 3/10ths off of the winning time. I ended up 10th out of 106 riders. I was really pleased with my run. I would've easily been in the money if I hadn't passed up the 1st and stayed in my seat on the 2nd...but that is ok. We are getting there!

We are staying on their heels and ready to take it all. The competition is really tough down here and I'm so thrilled Badger is right in there with everyone else. We watch the video and it looks like he is not moving that fast. He's just so smooth! I'm so proud of him and us!

I have a video and will add sometime this week. I'm off work so have to find a place w/wireless.

I also sold one of my trophy saddles yesterday. I decided not to keep it cause it doesn't fit my horses. We have wide horses and need wider saddles. I also have a friend who is selling a double J saddle. I tried it on Badger and it looks like it fits him. I'm going to try it out once the weather clears. I hope it works out. Finding an affordable saddle that is in good shape and made well is VERY difficult.

Shelby News:
Shelby is doing very well. She is growing, but is still on the small size. We are not big people so it doesn't suprise me. She is trying really hard to crawl. She has the but movement and knows how to move her legs. She is still trying to figure out how to get her arms to move forward. I don't think it will be long before she crawls. She is a very determined little girl!

We also decided not to get her the pony. I was sad, but it is better to wait. We also want to get a pony that we know is safe and ready to go. They are much more expensive, but worth her safety. Besides, with her determination she might just skip the pony and go right to one of our horses!

My dad is coming down to visit tomorrow. He'll be here for a week and a half. He misses Shelby and claims he misses us. hahaha...I know he's looking forward to seeing her and we're all looking forward to seeing him. We also have a small list of "To Dos" for him. Thank goodness he's handy because we are not! We also lack the time to get stuff done.

I also hope to go to Brenham with him. The blue bonnets will probably be in full bloom towards the end of the week. I want to get pics of Shelby in them and I'm sure dad will enjoy the nice trip up there. We may also tour the ice cream plant (Blue Bonnet). It's the BEST ice cream ever!

Well, i guess I better get back to cleaning the living room. I like my wood floor but it sure keeps me busy. Carpet is nice cause it hides all the dirt...hehehe...of course that is what makes it bad too.

No comments: