Sunday, March 1, 2009

Expensive Mistake

Well, yesterday's run didn't go exactly as I had planned. The arena set up was difficult because there's basically no alley way so your horse had a hard time maximizing his speed before reaching the 1st barrel. That was ok, but when I came out of the 1st barrel I lost my left stirrup and wasn't able to regain my balance well enough to push Badger over with my left spur. We made it around the 2nd barrel, but because I had my toe sticking out I hit the barrel. Normally I can bend over and pick it up as we go around, but this time I was just off balance and didn't want to risk falling off. So, I had to let it fall. That proved to be an expensive mistake. I am pretty sure if I would've left the barrel up I would've been in the money. But, there are almost 200 runners left tomorrow and a lot of pros...so maybe I would've been bumped out of the money.

I was REALLY frustrated at first, but I prayed about today for several weeks and felt that it was just not our timing yet. After thinking about it, Badger and I have only run maybe 5 races since I had Shelby. Only two of those races have been with us on top of the game and working well as a team. And those two were just last weekend. So, it is just not our time yet. We are blessed to have our sponsors pay for our entry fees so I am only out the diesel to drive up there.

I know Ryan is really dissappointed in me. I am sure he'll get past it over time. He says he is not but I know he is mad. Badger is his horse. So, I guess that comes with high expectations. After all, I took his only head horse away. I do wish he'd keep roping off of him, but he said he won't if I have a barrel race that same weekend.

Tomorrow (Sunday) is church and I need to go buy some groceries. Ryan and our neighbor, Kim (Sandy's husband), are going to finish the fence out by the road. That will be good. I'll take some pics of it when we get it all done. It sure will look nice.

Oh, I also have a picture of Badger and me from today. I'll scan it and post it on Monday as well as my run on video.

Ok, back to Sunday, we expect Ryan's parents to arrive sometime later that evening. They are leaving Las Crucos (which is close to El Paso, TX) Sunday morning. That is a loooong and boring drive. It will be good to have them visit this week .I won't get much time with them because I will be at work most of the day, but I know they will enjoy their time with Ryan and Shelby.

Finally, Dad called this weekend and is planning a trip March 16-25. He'll be here for my spring break plus a couple of days. I already warned him that I plan to do a lot of riding. :) We also have plans to go up to Rodeo Houston to see Gary Allen. I don't think he's ever been to Rodeo Houston so hopefully he'll enjoy that. There are no barrel races or team ropings planned for the weekend he is here. So, at least he won't have to do that! HAHA

Well, I guess I need to find something to make me sleepy. I slept for a couple of hours but now I can't sleep anymore and I'm out of Benadryl. Arg...

No comments: