I thought this week was a slow week since I felt I didn’t have much to say, but reality is that it’s been a busy week. It is Thursday, already, after all! So, let’s see, what did this week bring us. Monday, we were supposed to sell Mito. The girl that was buying him was heading to our house to get him when she had to turn around due to some problems with her family. She is going to be a high school senior this year and was really bummed, but told me she would be able to come get him in a day or two. She was very upset and was sad to have to wait. I remember what it was like at that age and being disappointed and/or having to wait for something you REALLY REALLY REALLY wanted. So, I felt her pain. I can’t remember what else happened that day, but I’m sure I rode horses….Tuesday was slow. We didn’t hear from the girl, which didn’t surprise me.
Wednesday I was going to register the car and get new tires on it. I had all the paperwork ready to go and went to get everything ready to leave. Tried to start the car, which ALWAYS started with no problems, and it wouldn’t start. I believe the battery is dead or needs to be replaced, but that shot my plans out the window. We still needed some groceries, so I decided to go to Wharton to get the groceries anyhow. I drive all the way down (15 or so miles) and just as I am about to reach the HEB (grocery store) I realized I had forgotten my purse. UGHHHHH….so I drove all the way back to the house, picked up my purse, and headed back to Wharton. As I was heading down the 2nd time I got a call from the girl saying she was going to come get Mito. So, we agreed to meet at 4 pm.
Shelby and I got our groceries and then headed back. She now sits in the little sit in the front of the grocery cart and it makes my grocery shopping a little easier and a little more entertaining. Everything is so exciting to her and it’s fun to share in the newness of a ‘old’ world. Old meaning, been there, done that for me….
We got back a little early so I unpacked the groceries and fed Shelby. Of course Shelby decided to take a nap around the time the girl was supposed to show up. So, I put her in her bed and she was sleeping by the time the girl showed up. So, I took the girl out to the barn and got Mito. She had a straight load, 2 horse trailer (much like my red trailer for those of you who remember it). Mito had never been in one of those, so I wasn’t sure what to expect. Luckily, we had no problems. He loaded up fairly quickly and they were off.
It wasn’t long after that we were loading up three of horses to head up to the fairgrounds to ride with the girls (Rodeo Sweethearts). It was a fun night and I enjoyed riding with them. The pattern is very different than what it has been in the past so it will be a learning curve for me. I plan to be an alternate, but need to know the pattern so I can fill in if I need to. It was good to work all the horses and ride with the girls.
Thursday took me to the Wharton arena. I’m running there this weekend so I wanted some time to work in the arena with Shiner (Ryan’s Mom’s horse). So, I got up early and went down there with Badger, Shiner and Romeo. I changed Badger’s bit again. The one I used last weekend worked well, but I didn’t something with a little give, but got his attention on the turns as well. He did REALLY well and I got the results I wanted from the bit. Yes! I then worked Shiner on some basics and then tried loping him through the pattern with a snaffle bit. It worked, but I needed a little more control to stop him and finishing out his turns. So, I tried Badger’s old bit, a combo gag, chain bit. It is easy on the horse and helps keep their nose down. That worked REALLY well on Shiner. So, I got a taste of his speed and skill. He did REALLY well too and man can he stretch out. I’m very anxious to run him this weekend as well as Badger. If I can run like I did today I believe I’ll have a couple of nice runs.
Thursday afternoon we went to Brazoria to look at a saddle for Ryan. Our sponsors (All States Roofing) are going into partnership with a horse for us to ride. So, we went down to Brazoria to see about a saddle for this horse. Ryan had to order it as they didn’t have his size. So, hopefully, that will be back in a couple of weeks. Then, some friends of ours came over to visit us. It was a nice visit.
Friday, we are going with one of our sponsors (Michelle) to go get the horse from her Mom. I’m anxious to see him. He is a solid bay and I love bays and always wanted a solid bay. He’s had 90 days of cutting training, so I’m also anxious to see what he knows. Cutting horses have to be pretty broke, so I’m hoping he is well broke and ready to go into roping. I’d say barrel racing too, but I have my hands full with Shiner, Badger and Romeo.
I’m not sure what we’ll do Friday night, but Saturday I am running barrels in Wharton. Sunday is church and then the friends that visited tonight may come back to ride with us and hang out.
Friday, July 31, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment