Monday, November 9, 2009

Novice Saddle is Won!!!


Click on Texas Events (right) to see more pictures!!!

What a great weekend! We did it, we won our saddle…and buckle, and headstall, and breast collar, and bell boots, and stirrups. Life is good and so is God. I am so proud of Badger and so thankful for my family. They stuck with me and supported me all year long. What a thrill. Ryan is grinning from ear to ear. I am hoping that I get to put my butt in my new saddle on my wonderful horse!


This year has been a tough year for our country and, at times, for our family. We always manage to pay the bills, but not necessarily with any leftovers. I felt way before this year began that God had put it in my heart that we were to win this saddle. It started with a little feeling, but that little feeling never went away. In fact, that feeling grew and strengthened over time. I would go to church on Sunday after running on Saturday and I would feel my faith growing. I really struggled with this faith throughout the whole year. How could I desire something so deeply that was as little as winning a saddle when I had friends and family around me with illness, loss of jobs, and other life struggling issues. I kept feeling that it wasn’t right of me to desire something like a saddle when others were in so much need. But, I still heard that still, small voice telling me otherwise. God is so good. We really are His children and He really wants the desire of our hearts to be filled. No matter the desires.

I can still remember when I found out I was pregnant and was winning the Novice saddle back in early 2008. I wasn’t just winning, but I was beating everyone. It was AWESOME, but with Shelby on the way I knew I had to let it go. I also knew that I would come back in 2009 and win it! That’s when the still, small voice was first heard.

Fast forward 9 months and I now had a 2 month old, a fat horse and I was so out of shape. We didn’t come into 2009 very strong but we held steadfast and slowly, but surely we started to pick up speed. We had our downfalls and injuries but that voice from deep inside me would still be there telling me we would finish with a saddle in our hands. Slowly, but surely we started climbing up the rankings. Finally, in July we made it to first place, but we still had 4 months of barrel races. We never lost faith and we continued to tread forward. Barrel race after barrel race, run after run we continued to stay on top. However, there was one person who was creeping up and catching up to me. I knew I couldn’t outrun her, I just had to keep running on faith and continuing to believe that it was meant to be.

I think the hardest time I had holding my faith was when Ryan called me at work to let me know Badger pulled his hamstring and would require major rest 6 days before the 2nd to last race. I was devistated. I still had a couple of hours of work left and could do nothing but try to get through my day without balling my eyes out. It was a close call, but I, once again, heard God telling me I can fix this. Trust me, hold your faith, stand strong! I remember thinking…”Yea right! My horse is hurt and I’m told not to run him or we risk him being permantely damaged.” Then I realized I had to hold my faith. I had to believe this was yet another mountain for me to let God fix. It was His mountain. Fighting off tears…I believed that. It appeared impossible for me, but I knew, that I knew, that I knew that mountain was going to be moved.

Then I think of the bible verse “Oh Ye of little faith….” It’s the bible verse that talks about moving mountains with the faith of a mustard seed. I love that verse and held on to it. I never shared it with anyone…just hung on to it.

An hour or so later I get another call from Ryan. I had told him I wanted a second opinion…well he made a call and that 2nd opinion told him to run the horse. It wasn’t going to do any permanent damage. Once again, mountain was moved! We ran one of our best races that weekend! It was AWESOME!

That same day I shared with my Facebook friends my saddness and frustration of what had happened. I had a church friend reply that very same verse (Faith of a mustard seed.). AMAZING! Confirmation that what I was feeling was real.

I also had a friend pray for me at church. She grabbed my hands to pray with me and immediately said I had such strong faith. She was blown away by the faith she had felt. Again, reinforcement from God letting me know he was there with me. He felt my faith and my faithfulness. It was, again, the confirmation I needed to know what I was feeling was not just the desires of my heart, but of God’s heart too.

The saddle winner was not decided until today. I had to place top 4 in order to win the saddle. I knew I could place 3rd cause I knew I couldn’t outrun two of the girls. I was sooooo nervous! I just saw three big blue barrels staring at me…taunting me…reminding me of how important it was to keep them standing. So, of course, the way I ran reflected it. I was sooooo nervous! All I could think about was leaving the barrels up…which I did….but it sure wasn’t pretty doing it! HA!

So to finish this out, I placed 4th in the Novice, but, the good news is, the person who could’ve caught me placed 2nd. So, I beat her by one point! YES! The saddle was mine. I’m so glad this season is over. What a tough race….and what tough competition.

For my horse friends….I was competing against a Jud Little horse and a Bill Meyers (Frenchman’s Guy) horse. These horses are top notch and don’t come cheap. So, I’m very proud of my horse and of us for coming into this as the underdogs and winning!

Aaahhhh….the story of my life! It’s ok…I don’t mind. 

Now, off to try and win another saddle in the 2D with NBHA TX 34. As long as I don’t run like I ran today we will have a chance. I’ll be running Badger and Shiner. Shiner is going to be my new barrel horse next year so I need to get some runs with him before the new season begins.

I have included some pictures that we took, but I hope to purchase some professional pictures and share them too.

Well, back to reality, back to the job.  We also have a dresser we need to put together for Shelby. I’m not sure if I should start it now as it is 9 PM. (Roo Daddy, who is laying my lab, says “NO!”) Her baby changing table has officially fallen apart. It was used when we got it and did not last but a few months after we brought Shelby home. So, we decided to buy her something else that was safer for her to climb on and would store all of her clothes. Her Grandma Boudrie LOVES ebay and Shelby’s closet shows how much! HA!

No comments: