Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Cold Weather & Young Horses don't mix :)

UPDATE,....Here is a pic of what Michigan looks like this morning...I guess my cold weather isn't so bad after all...






The weather has changed drastically since yesterday. It's about 30 degrees colder today than it was yesterday. Brrr....and it's raining...yuck...there's even talk about snow....but unlikely

Yesterday I picked up Shelby and rushed home. Ryan had two horses saddled for me. I passed Shelby on to him and then went and changed. I only had about 30 min before it was dark so I had to hurry. I got on Badger and loped him around for about 15 min. He just needs exercise to get the extra weight off at this time. The cool thing is while I was riding him you could see the big, dark clouds rolling in and then came the northern wind. It amazes me everytime a blue northeren blows in. It's something you have to experience to believe. One minute you are in a tshirt and you are fine. Five minutes later the northern blows in, the temperature drops drastically and the wind picks up. It's amazing. Yesterday was super cool cause the clouds were so big and dark and they rolled in. So, as I exercised Badger I watched it blow in.

I then had to work Mito. He's still very green so I was a bit concerned about his behavior. That cold weather can make them frisky and the young horses can get broncy. Anyhow, I warmed him up in the round pen and then got on him just to work on his turns on his back end at a walk. Then the rain started to sprinkle...cold weather, rain, and young horses do not mix. I knew that could end up bad so I got off before I wanted to. I can't afford me to get hurt at this time.

So, today I get dreary, rainy weather...at least I have cell group for church tonight. I hope it will be nicer tomorrow so I can ride again. My goal is to ride on Tuesday and Thursdays during the week. We REALLY need to sell Mito and so I REALLY need to stay on him and get him going. I hope to sell him by spring as a patterend barrel horse. We've got to down size. This economy doesn't look good so we need to set up ourselves so we can ride through the wave.


I have added new pics from MI. Here's one of Skylar's deer...congrats Skylar.

No comments: