Monday, February 2, 2009

Barrels & Steers

This weekend was very busy. On Saturday we left the house by 8:30 AM to go to Angelton for a roping. We were there most of the morning and left around 1 pm. Ryan did well. He had 6 runs. All but one heeler missed for him so we thought it was going to be a bad day. The good news is all it takes is one! That's what we always say when he has a day like Saturday. It's so true! He ended up 4th out of almost 200 teams! So, we were excited about that! He came home with $262 bucks. Not bad for a bad days work. :)

We then left the roping and headed back to home to pick up my sponsor's shirt. I had forgotten to wash it til Saturday morning. So, it was in the dryer. After we stopped by home and picked it up it was off to Rosenberg for my barrel race. We got there around 3:20 pm. There were over 200 runners and I drew (since i got there late) 201. So, that meant a few hours of just sitting around and waiting.

Shelby did well and tried real hard to not get grumpy. It's a good thing she is used to taking naps in her stroller!

It was probably 7 pm before I ran. I had a decent run. I hit the 2nd barrel but grabbed it and pushed it back up. It almost fell over, but I think there was an angel under it pushing it the other way! I ran a 16.4. That was an ok time. Still not what the time I'm looking for, but I just don't get to ride like I used to and so I can't complain. The last time I ran in that arena I ran a 16.7 so I'm improving. Taking 3/10ths off in a barrel run is pretty impressive, so I won't complain. I don't think I won any money, but we left before I found out. I'm hoping I got some Novice points and I might have placed in the adult class. I have to wait til they post it to find out.

We got home around 8 pm and all of us were pooped! I put Shelby down for the night and Ryan fed the horses. Ryan and I fell alseep in the in the living room and eventually went to bed.

Sunday was another busy day, but I just had no energy. We got up and cleaned the house. We even mopped the kitchen and bathrooms. It was getting a bit out of control! We skipped church so we could get all this done. Then around 1 pm, even though I could've slept all day, we loaded up a couple of the young horses and went to the neighbors to work them in her arena. Mito is coming along very nicely. He's starting to really use his legs and hind end to dig into the dirt and get around. It's very exciting! He's learned how to rate himself and so I don't have to give him such obvious clues to set his body up for the turn. He's starting to do it automatically. Now I can get more aggressive with his turns. They have been wider than I want...

I was going to ride Romeo too, but I was just too tired so I told Ryan I'd ride him later. That never happened. Neither one of us had any desire to work with him. With young horses you have to be on your A game and neither of us were there. So, we just put them away and fed early.

We started watching the football game, but I started to doze off around 5:30. Shelby took a short nap and woke up. Thank goodness she just wanted to go back to sleep. So I put her in bed early and then took a shower. My intentions were to watch the game in bed, but I fell asleep. Ryan came in and told me it was a good game. I didn't care. I was sleeping by 9 pm....actually before then.

Shelby woke up at midnight. We fed her and she slept til 6:30 this morning. She looked well rested and was in a good mood when I left for work. :)

I have a couple of videos to upload but having some trouble. I'll upload once I figure it out.

No comments: