Sunday, November 2, 2008

Galveston and Halloween

Dad, Charlene and I took a drive down to Galveston to see what Hurricane Ike had done to that area. If your remember, that was one of the areas the eye of Ike hit leaving it pretty badly damaged. I took a lot of pictures and have added them to my Ike link. When you look at them some of the pictures look like pictures of houses with little damage. You have to look at the whole pictures. A lot of them have the sand on the side of the road that was washed up from the ocean or debris that had been tossed around. The piles of debris were at one time houses or other structures. You will also see pictures of boats on the side of the highway or road. These were tossed from the water and pushed with now where they still remain. The rebuilding has begun, but it appears to be slow. I’m assuming a lot of the owners are waiting on insurance or may not have the right type of insurance to cover their losses.

It was amazing seeing the piles of sand that was once roads and grass yards. The sand was piled high enough in some areas where you can’t even see where a structure once lied because the poles that once held the house was covered by so much sand. It was so weird driving down there and seeing the destruction. And this is after 6 weeks of recovery. I can’t imagine what it looked like a few days after Ike hit us.

We got back from Galveston and changed Shelby into her Halloween outfit and then headed off to our church for Halloween. It was a lot chillier than we expected, but it was still fun. We ate candy and passed Shelby around to all the ladies who couldn’t wait to hold her. We then went home and crashed after our long, busy day.

Saturday, Charlene and Dad headed out early to go back to San Antonio to catch their flight back to MI. I had a party with my friends at 2 pm so Shelby and I did that yesterday while Ryan hung out with a friend of his. It was so good to see my friends and to share Shelby with them. My friend Kaylene gave me a bunch of clothes and toys her kids weren’t using anymore. Shelby is still too young for them but I’m sure the time will fly and she’ll be playing with the toys before we know it. Rachel also brought Shelby a gift. She got her a cute cowgirl sleeper and some cowgirl bibs. Thanks to my wonderful friends! I can’t believe how generous people are when babies are involved. I have been blown away by everyone’s generosity.

Today is Sunday and it’s time for me to go so I can get Shelby and me ready to go to church. We haven’t been since September and I’m really looking forward to going. I will also be able to upload pics we took over the weekend. I’ll have new pictures in the Ike link as well as the MI link. Dad, Charlene and Charlene’s kids went up to the UP in MI back in July. The pics are so pretty I had to share. Isn’t MI beautiful…too bad it is so cold and so far from TX!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

aunt stacie,

i really liked your pictures of your horses and your baby. the video of shelby pooping. i am spending the night at grandma charlene and grandpa larry's house. i want to ride your horses.i like twister.

love logan

Anonymous said...

Dear Aunt Stacie,

I am a socker player, but the season is now over until next year. I can't wait until my birthday on Nov. 10, Grandma Charlene and Grandpa Larry are going to buy me a birthday gift, but it is a surprise. I really like the pictures of all the horses. I liked all the pictures of you have on your blog, especially the Gavelston pictures. I love Grandpa Larry and Grandma Charlene very much. I am in second grade and I got really good grades on my report card. I like school very much.

Love. Alex

Anonymous said...

Hi Stacie,

I did the typing for Alex, he chose what the words to tell you. I hope you enjoyed their comments. They had a good time looking at the pictures. Your dad and I really enjoyed our visit. We miss you guys already.

Love, Charlene