Monday, September 15, 2008

Cool Weather and more about Ike

What a relief! It was in the 70s all day today and in the 60s tonight. God is really looking out for 1.3 million people w/o power here in the Houston area. This weather is such a blessing! It was also for this pregnant lady stuck at home this week due to Hurricane Ike. I sat outside as much as I could today. It was WONDERFUL! It is supposed to be nice all week too. Yes! Come on cooler weather. We are so ready for you this week.

I put together Shelby's swing my team at Oakland bought for her. It took a while cause I was paranoid I wasn't putting it together correctly and it would fall apart when we put Shelby in it. So, I told Ryan I want him to check it over just to make sure before we use it. I hear this 'paranoia' never ends! Yickes!

I also have heard from a few of my friends in Houston area. They are doing well. One friend, Rachel, is still w/o power. I told her to come here and hang out. She said if power doesn't come back tomorrow she may take me up on it. She said the cooler weather has helped. She also was able to eat hot pizza. That was a big deal since none of the restaurants have been open and they have been eating granola bars, etc for meals. She said the storm got pretty crazy and scary up there. And she is pretty much in downtown!

I've been debating on what to do regarding the shower. I'd like to wait til Oct. 5th cause Nancy will be here, but I'm nervous it might get delayed again if Shelby decides to come. So, we'll see...most of the people who are invited live in this area and are getting back to normal.

We had a roofing company come out and look at our roof. They feel it may need to be replaced so we're going to contact the insurance company tomorrow and then decide from there. I guess they will have to have someone come out and look at the damage and talk with the roofing company. So, we'll see how that goes. I hate making claims...I know that's why you pay all this insurance...but I also hate paying the rate increase for who knows how long!

As for the rest of Houston...they are dealing with all of this the best that they can. I didn't watch too much tv today because it has been 24/7 news since last Thursday. Tonight is the first night regular tv is back on. You only can watch so much of it all before you get tired of it all. It appears the city, state and federal governments are doing their very best. There have been some minor glitches and the news media wants to blow that up into something negative. I believe the Judge of Houston and the Mayor of Houston are doing a great job with informing us all of what's going on and keeping the media straight...focus on the good and what we can do for these people and not worry about the negative. Many changes have been made since Katrina and Rita. In my mind, Houston and the surrounding areas have done a PHENOMENAL job! Kudos to them! They deserve it!

We still have shortages of food and fuel. They are bringing it in as fast as they can but the need is so great. Today Ryan and I put diesel in my truck. I went inside to get a tea and I overheard one of the workers say that once the fuel was gone they weren't getting anymore. I assumed anymore for that day, but not for sure. There were lines, but it wasn't that bad. We are far enough out of the city we won't have the same issues you see on CNN, etc. We are getting the crowds from the people who are trying to get back to Brazoria County and south.

As for price gauging...I haven't seen it in this area and it doesn't appear to be happening in Houston. However, I heard it is happening in other areas such as Florida. I sure hope they get the fines they deserve to do that to the locals. Right now gas is around $4.60 - 5.00 and Diesel is $3.99 in our area...not sure about in Houston. Diesel prices haven't changed...PHEW...since that is what Ryan and I use.

My district (Fort Bend ISD) is closed through Wednesday. They changed that today. As of earlier today, Richmond still did not have power and I'm not sure about Sugar Land. That's where most of our schools are located.

I guess that's it for now. Thanks for all your prayers, concerns, and phone calls. We are doing well down here and we are back to normal in our community. However, we are also blessed. There are still many more dealing with no electricity and basic needs such as clean water and food. Please keep those people in your prayers!

1 comment:

TanyaD said...

Ok... Just had to make sure you were still pregnant. Didn't want to tell you this beforehand, but I read online the drop in the barometric pressure that a hurricane brings can cause women to go into labor early... Glad you made it through! =)