Sunday, September 14, 2008

Hurricane Ike Update

This was written Sunday Afternoon...
After seeing all the devastation I realize how lucky we are down here on the Wharton County/ Ft. Bend County line. Ike hit hard, but we got the clean side of it. This means none of the really strong winds, strong rain and tornadoes. We did have extremely high winds on Friday night and some rain, but nothing like you see on the news. We also didn't get any of the tornadoes you may heard about. The hurricane moved slightly north as it came on shore. Just far enough north to get us out of the direct impact.

We did lose power around 2 am on Friday, but it returned around 3 pm on Saturday. We also lost it for a few hours this morning. I'm so thankful we have the generator. It was really hot, humid and still on Saturday.

So far the only damage we see is some of the shingles torn off of our house. We will have that looked at to see if we need to do anything about it.

Most of our surrounding area is on a curfew to keep people off the streets and protect the homes that belong to those who have evacuated. This has made me a bit stir crazy. I can't sit for this long. I am getting pregnant enough for everyday tasks to become a challenge and so the thought of cleaning my house or doing something productive does not sound like much fun. Ryan and I are going to go to Richmond to see if Target is open. I just need to get out of the house. If they are I'll use some gift cards to purchase stuff for the hospital and get some of the basics Shelby and I will need...and hopefully find a cute outfit to bring Shelby home in.

I took some video of the hurricane winds, etc coming in on Friday and took some pics of the houses boarded up. I'll upload those when I go back to work. My district is closed down til Wednesday at this time. Sugar Land, which is where many of our schools are located was hit pretty hard with the rain this morning and also had damage from Ike.

I'm not sure what I'll do in the meantime....maybe bang my head against the wall. LOL Hopefully Ryan will return to work soon. He had Thursday and Friday off since everyone was evacuating. It may take a day or two to get him working again as people return and re coop the money they spent evacuating. It is extremely expensive to evacuate so that really puts people in a bind.

Well, that's it for now. If anything else happens I'll be sure to add to my BLOG...but I have a feeling the next few days will be pretty low key since I'll be sitting at home staring at the walls.

Keep all those affected by Ike in your prayers.

UPDATE: Sunday Evening...
Well, we went to Target only to discover it had no power and it was cash only. What a bummer! I had gift cards to use. It appeared that all of Richmond was w/o power. Home Depot was open as well, but it looked dark so I'm sure it was cash only as well. I was bummed because I was looking forward to getting some baby stuff and doing something other than staring at my wonderful husband all day! HA! The good news is he suggested that we go by Erin and David's house. That was a good plan. They were home and we hung out there til about 7:15 PM.

We then came home to take care of the animals. We had baby kittens born on Aug. 12. Two had already died and the other two we have been trying to care for them. Their eyes kept sealing shut from all the gook. So, Ryan has been taking care of them and I'm playing nurse. However, it is very gross...it's like the slimy snot from a child's nose. So, I try not to gag and just had the tools he needs (water, q tips, visine...)...A friend suggested we feed them eggs and milk. So we mixed up that and fed them tonight. Poor things were starving. Their mom is not very big so I guess she had no more milk to give them. It looks like we'll be doing that for twice a day for the next two weeks until they are strong enough to eat the regular cat food. Poor little things. They are so small they fit in Ryan's front pocket on his tshirt. So they have a lot of growng to do. I'll take pics of them in Ryan's pocket so you can see. They are too cute. Hopefully they'll pull through and become strong kittens like their older brothers.

No comments: